Monday, March 8, 2010

Make a Papier Mache Easter Egg Container

Easter will be her before we know it and with springtime crafting already in full swing, we wanted to share a fun project with you: decorating a German papier mache egg box.

You'll need:
• a blank egg, like those pictured below, available here
• acrylic paint in white and other springtime colors of your choice
• a selection of Dresden foils and trims, available here and here
• springtime and Easter scraps, available here and here
• and of course glue, scissors and paint brushes

These German egg boxes are lined with pretty vintage floral paper, just like the papier mache eggs that have been enjoyed for generations.

Start out by painting both halves of the egg white to ensure your final color choice is vibrant. When dry, paint with color. Next step, glue on scrap images and Dresdens. When adding trim around the seam of the egg, take care to line the trims up precisely. And voila! Your egg is complete.

You can also add colored mica, elegant fabric trims, glitter, and a glossy glaze to your egg. If you add any gloss, be sure to do it before you apply Dresdens so as not to dull any of their luster and shine.
We chose birds and florals for this set of eggs, paired with powdery hues in pink, blue and mint.
Happy Spring and Happy Crafting!

11 comments:

  1. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog! Your decorated easter eggs are gorgeous! And I was just looking at your past psot with all the flowers from your neighborhood... WOW! So lovely there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so creative! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eggs are absolutely beautiful. They remind me of Easter eggs my grandmother made for us when we were little - only yours are much more sophisticated!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I wanna make my own easter eggs too...thanks for sharing some links... and thanks for stopping by my blog btw...hope you'll visit again, i will too!

    follow me: Living Creatively with Flory
    http://flo-ry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to meet you. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I just marked your etsy shop a favorite. I love your decorated eggs. This looks like so much fun.

    Thank you again for stopping by, I can see your blog will be a regular for me to read.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopped back to say I also looked at your 32 North shop. This is so wonderful, as an artist I am always looking for supplies, and you seem to have thought of everything.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sooo pretty, Amanda! I just love the robin's egg blue...and pink, of course. ;o) You can get commercial decorated eggs here at Easter, but they are a far cry from these elegant and festive creations--GORGEOUS! Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda
    Thanks for leaving a comment so I could come by and visit you. The eggs are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip! That's really great - Easter is coming any day...time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time I have visited your blog. Thanks for the comments. Your eggs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful eggs! The Easter bunny brought us similar eggs when I was a little girl! :-)...Debbie

    ReplyDelete